Europe has an aging population, that is common knowledge; however, technological innovations still often manage to neglect the more mature generations, so missing out on beneficial opportunities. Companies are mistaken to think that people over a certain age are not hungry to participate and share their insights. For that reason, in our report we identified and examined several innovation potentials targeting elderly citizens.
How can the question of the aging population be relevant for businesses? Well, if you want to provide value for your customers, you must recognize potential pain points, and the lack of care for older people is going to be a significant one – whether directly in the case of relatives or indirectly as part of the workforce. For instance, in Germany the number of people aged above 80 is estimated to increase by 79%, while the increase in the number of people aged 45-64 – the potential caregivers – is only 1% in the same period. Furthermore, the World Health Organization notes 57 countries to be facing a crisis regarding their health care workforce.
As anticipated, our intention is not to traumatize you, but to offer feasible solutions. We determined three areas of technological development that have potential for innovation, in the report specific opportunities are also introduced.
- Information and communication systems
- Sensor, auxiliary and monitoring systems
- Robotics and network technology
However, we did not stop there, we took a deeper dive and discovered four primary fields where extensive research and customer testing could be beneficial. Of course, if that is not to your taste, do not hesitate to contact us, we are here to help. We did not forget to include exemplary topics and use cases in the report, below are some examples.
- Risk prevention for older people and support in emergencies
– Smartwatch emergency calls
– Memory training
– Remote key and door access services for caregivers
- Help and support for caregiving relatives
– Support relatives that provide care for the elderly
– Facilitating last will and testament administration
– Work-life balance coaching for caregivers
- Integration, coordination and orchestration of care, health and household-related services
– Greater access to care services
– Food and menu delivery or food sharing
– Peer and neighborhood support
- Organization and coordination of social and leisure activities
– Support of local senior communities
– Supervised travel and holiday offers
– Explore fitness offers suitable for seniors
At Frontira, we believe that addressing social issues should be at the forefront of innovation in relation to creating value. We are here to provide strategic guidance, feel free to contact us.
Interested in the Tech & Care for an Ageing Population Report in PDF?
Sign up and receive your copy.
Frontira is a Strategic Design firm that supports clients with smart thinking and doing. We define, build and scales digital businesses that create new growth for some of the leading companies in the world. We believe in using design principles and practices to guide strategy development and implementation toward innovative outcomes that benefit people and organizations alike.
Our teams are serving clients globally with a focus on financial services, telecommunication, pharma, and retail. Frontira is operating studios in Berlin, Budapest, Salzburg and works with an international expert network.